Tuesday, December 5, 2006

What were they thinking?

I found out recently that, effective January 2007, yarn will become taxable in Rhode Island! I'd like to know who came up with that idea. What a rotten way to start the year!

On a more pleasant note, I spent part of Sunday afternoon teaching a friend how to knit. The twist (hah) is that he is way more of a leftie than I, and even crochets left-handed (I knit right-handed, despite learning from a book that had diagrams for both ways). He offered to learn to knit right-handed and reverse it later, but I was kind of curious about knitting left-handed anyway, so I hauled out some needles and yarn and muddled through the process.

It was easier than I had expected, though this might be partly because I've already been doing some continental knitting (or at least my interpretation thereof) when my right arm needs a break. However, it also made me wonder if yarn is spun to make certain styles (or handedness?) of knitting easier than others. I noticed some of our yarn untwisting almost completely, and wasn't sure whether to blame that on the direction of the ply or the yarn in general.

Oh dear, thinking of yarn just reminded me again of that tax...grr....

(My husband points out that, having lived in Canada for most of my life, I should be used to being taxed up the wazoo, but it still hurts.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got no sympathy from my husband either- "They have to raise taxes somehow." I know he would be singing a different tune if the tax were related to motorcycles.

Anonymous said...

I was sorry to hear the taxation news too, though not terribly surprised. I had a feeling it was only a matter of time until the Powers That Be realized that we were not knitting as a substitute for buying clothes, and therefore yarn could hardly be put in the same category.

I'm trying to decide whether there will be a 12/31 spending spree...

Anonymous said...

I feel so bad for the RI knitters. I think we've been paying tax on yarn in CT for a while now, but it still hurts. Too bad we can't claim a "starving artist" exemption...we create art but don't earn any money from it. :)

If my little cabinet weren't full, I'd rush on back to Knitwits and Sakonnet Purls and fill my trunk with all those wonderful fibers. Let us know if you do some stashing!

Theresa said...

I'm pretty sure there's still MA and PA . . .