Thursday, April 10, 2008

Der Dreifinger-Faultiere am Spinnrade* (and elsewhere)

The photo upload fairy finally visited. Here's what I've been up to:

1) I sang in the choir for Haydn's The Seasons last Sunday. It's a fun fun piece and my main regret is that I forgot to mention it earlier, so I'm going to compensate by plugging our next concert super-early. It will be on Sunday May 4 at 3 pm in Seattle's First Free Methodist Church, and will feature mostly Baroque music. The choir will sing Purcell's Masque in Dioclesian. Check the OSSCS website for more details.

It figures that that had no photos whatsoever. Anyway, going on...

2) I made my very first bread pudding, and judging from M's reaction it won't be the last. As usual, the recipe was from Joy of Cooking, but I threw in some walnut bread that was sitting around and topped the whole thing with raisins and chopped apricots.
100_2616

3) I finished one of the German Stockings. The yarn is Trekking XXL and the needle sizes included 3 mm, 2.5 mm and 2.25 mm. The 3-mm set was for casting on so that I didn't end up with a tourniquet, the 2.25 mm was necessary to get gauge, and the 2.5 was for the cuff, because when I realized I had to go down a needle size I didn't feel like redoing the cuff, so I just ripped down to where the cuff ended and changed needle sizes there.
100_2619

The horizontal stripes are, perhaps, not flattering to my leg shape, but unless I wear these with hot pants I don't think anyone will notice.

Come to think of it, if I did wear them with hot pants the stripes would probably be the least of my worries.

4) I've been procrastinating on the other stocking by working on some lacey stuff instead. First there is the Hydrangea Lace Scarf (you'll have to scroll a little down the left column). For this one I'm using a 2-ply silk-merino blend yarn that I spun last fall.
100_2630

5) The other lacey thing is the Paisley Long Shawl. I'm making this one with Jaggerspun Zephyr laceweight.
100_2631

6) (the Spinnrade part) Back before Christmas, I picked up some roving at Urban Craft Uprising, and I finally started to ply it two days ago. It's...bright. And one bobbin is way fuller than the other. Odd...I could have sworn I split it properly.
100_2627
100_2628

*3-toed sloth at the spinning wheel. Sorry, Gretchen and Schubert.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Mmmm, you have me craving bread pudding.
My Joy of Cooking was a shower gift 25 years ago and I frequently turn to it. It's fun just to read bits here and there. And it ain't just for fancy dinner parties. Have a hankering for woodchuck, armadillo, beaver tail, head cheese,and the like? It's in there!

knitseashore said...

You are certainly a Renaissance (Baroque?) woman with singing, baking, knitting, spinning...very talented! I especially admire your cooking because I'm pretty hopeless at all but the most basic things.

Theresa said...

I adore bread pudding. Mark Bitman has some good recipes, too. But I just ripped out my Paisley Long Shawl. It was just not happening this decade.

Anonymous said...

How much do I have to pay and to whom to get you to blog a photo of yourself in hot pants with that awesome sock?

I mean, okay, it might not be the most fashionable choice you could make, but at least the sock would get the exposure it deserves. It is gorgeous!

Sarah said...

Oh! I love bread pudding and that one looks fab!!

RedScot said...

Bread pudding - mmmmmm! That looks good! I loved your hot-pants and socks analogy - made me giggle! (Only because I'd have the same problem!)