Friday, July 11, 2008

The bag, the challenge

I'm taking the Knitting Option for the first TdF KAL challenge. I'm working on a BYOB market bag and had been planning to go all out with a delicately illustrated and moving story about a sloth who gets tired of hanging out in a tree, decides to see the world, sneaks onto a plane to France by hiding in a bag (coincidentally the one I'm making--a-HA!), and...I don't know, helps a lost puppy or makes some cool new friends or something...but some technical issues* came up so all I have is this photo and some explanatory text.

100_2948

I decided to make the body of the bag with cream-coloured dishcloth cotton yarn and the stripes with blue and orange yarn to match the jersey of my KAL team, Team Rabobank. This triggered a quest to find dishcloth yarn in the right shades of blue and orange. The quest, alas, has not been successful, so I'm using acrylic instead. It's slightly uncomfortable, but not as much as I had expected and certainly no more than the cotton (which I find a bit hard on my wrists). The upsides are that 1) I'll have a nifty Tour de France-themed bag; 2) if I ever make to France and take it to the markets it will probably never, ever be mixed up with someone else's bag; and 3) when wielding the bag I'll probably be able to stun a sheep at 50 paces. I've never seen an orange this bright. It could be a secret weapon in a sheep-shearing contest...unless, of course, sheep are colour-blind. I should look that up.

*1) no scanner. 2) crappy drawing software. 3) pretty crappy drawing skills. 4) no story written yet.

4 comments:

knightlyknitter.wordpress.com said...

I love the sloth, and your attitude is awesome!! I asked farm-grown hubby about sheep and seeing colour or not, but he denies any knowledge.
the world is a mystery...

knitseashore said...

Your willingness to make a bag in Rabobank colors is just stunning. I'll try to remember when I go to Rhinebeck to ask if sheep see orange!

Anonymous said...

Earband Bag!! I love it. When I see the finished object I anticipate feeling a strong urge to make one just like it for my sister-in-law.

Anonymous said...

Argyle--it's a children's book [older book: think elibris not current stock] about a sheep who is tired of following the crowd and wanders off to eat colorful wildflowers, after which his fleece is multicolored which is wonderful for socks and a big tourist attraction, until...