I'm taking the Knitting Option for the first TdF KAL challenge. I'm working on a BYOB market bag and had been planning to go all out with a delicately illustrated and moving story about a sloth who gets tired of hanging out in a tree, decides to see the world, sneaks onto a plane to France by hiding in a bag (coincidentally the one I'm making--a-HA!), and...I don't know, helps a lost puppy or makes some cool new friends or something...but some technical issues* came up so all I have is this photo and some explanatory text.
I decided to make the body of the bag with cream-coloured dishcloth cotton yarn and the stripes with blue and orange yarn to match the jersey of my KAL team, Team Rabobank. This triggered a quest to find dishcloth yarn in the right shades of blue and orange. The quest, alas, has not been successful, so I'm using acrylic instead. It's slightly uncomfortable, but not as much as I had expected and certainly no more than the cotton (which I find a bit hard on my wrists). The upsides are that 1) I'll have a nifty Tour de France-themed bag; 2) if I ever make to France and take it to the markets it will probably never, ever be mixed up with someone else's bag; and 3) when wielding the bag I'll probably be able to stun a sheep at 50 paces. I've never seen an orange this bright. It could be a secret weapon in a sheep-shearing contest...unless, of course, sheep are colour-blind. I should look that up.
*1) no scanner. 2) crappy drawing software. 3) pretty crappy drawing skills. 4) no story written yet.