Thursday, June 21, 2007

Felix overdomesticus

Tonight my cat had his best evening in weeks.

About half an hour ago I noticed something fluttering around the room. My first thought was, "Save the yarn!!" but then I remembered the yarn was in plastic containers on the other end of the apartment. Meanwhile, my cat noticed the fluttering creature and tried to go into Bugkiller mode, but due to the dearth of prey around here his instincts were a bit rusty, so he spent the entire time alternating between lounging on the floor, squeaking excitedly when he saw the bug, and attacking random buglike objects. It was a little embarrassing. I expect that once the bug realizes my cat has forgotten how to hunt it will invite its friends over to mock us.

100_1356
Himself doing his thing.

I finished the surprise object today. Once I tuck in the last two ends of yarn I'll post a photo in Ravelry. I'll post another one here when the object reaches its recipient.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those ears!

At least your cat makes an effort to save his dignity as a hunter. Mine look at the bug, then look over at Chris or me as if to say, "Aren't you going to get that? It's really annoying!"

So nice to see you on Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee! I am always entertained by cats whose instincts are dulled by years of non-use. One of our poor cats came from an abandoned litter, and apparently cats' instincts are honed and "taught" by their mothers, so his just don't quite work. His biggest problem is that he'll start to clean himself, but he gets confused about the process and just winds up licking the sofa for about 20 minutes.