Wednesday, August 9, 2006

Coast to coast


Tunnel en route to the Marin Headlands.


I think I want to live in San Francisco.

We went there for a friend's wedding last weekend. We had spent the previous week trying not to melt in 100-degree weather and humidity. In SF we encountered pleasant sunshine, pelicans, hills, and the cool Pacific breeze.

The rental car company upgraded us to a convertible, so we spent most of the weekend driving around with the roof down, enjoying the sky, ooh-ing our way up the hills and EEEAAAGH!-ing our way back down. Drive-by photography was a breeze with (almost) no car roof getting in the way.

I couldn't help taking a picture of this contraption in the trunk (I have to admit, it seems nifty).

The wedding was in an orchid garden near the ocean, so between the ceremony and the reception we walked up the hill to look around.

On Sunday we hiked in Muir Woods with my husband's relatives. Did you know that redwoods can produce clones from tissue around their roots? It comes in handy when something catastrophic occurs, like a fire (note the dead stump in the middle).

I don't think I've felt this alive in ages. Now if only we could afford the housing there....

Unfortunately I missed Challenge #5 of The Amazing Lace because of the trip, but the weekend wasn't a complete write-off for the world o' knitting. Allow me to present a bound-off-though-still-unblocked Tina Shawl:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great trip! Maybe a little too good if it makes you want to live there when in fact you live 3000 miles away.

Congrats on finishing the Tina Shawl! It looks wonderful -- I can't even imagine what blocking will do for it.

Anonymous said...

What beautiful scenery! It must have been so hard to leave.

Your shawl is breathtakingly gorgeous...congratulations! Do you now want to knit on big needles, as I am longing to, after finishing such thin lace?

silverarrowknits said...

Tina is beautiful! Congrats on binding off!