Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hee hee hee

I have made something that looks like sock yarn!

100_2327

I finished spinning and plying the chocolate and cherries roving (on the right). It seems to be close to the specs I mentioned earlier from Spin-Off Fall 2007 (around 14 wpi and 5 twists per inch), and although I haven't run it through any official measuring tool I think I have about 230 yards. Most of it looks decent but I did run into some trouble with singles falling apart, especially where I had joined new roving or where the colour had been solid (instead of having, e.g., some red fiber and some white) and the twist thus harder to see.

I had thought about making socks with this yarn but now I'm more in the mood for knitting a Baby Surprise Jacket just so I can say I did it. Does anyone know how much sportweight yarn one needs for this?

Since I was in the mood, I also finished spinning and plying some Bluefaced Leicester roving (left in the photo) that I had acquired a few weeks ago in a spinning class. I'll have to pick up some more of this--the sheen is really pretty! Maybe I'll even put enough twist into the singles next time...

We went to Carkeek Park yesterday and got some photos of the sunset.

100_2333

6 comments:

Theresa said...

That's a gorgeous photo. And I can't believe you make actual sock yarn!

Anonymous said...

So cool! It looks just like, you know, actual yarn! :)

Raverly tells me that the baby surprise pattern calls for 3 oz. of yarn...not sure that helps.

Iris said...

Love your sunset picture.

Very nice sock yarn. Nice to see that you're spinning now!

cindy said...

Your handspun is lovely. I found this on the web; DK weight is comparable to sport weight:
Baby Surprise Jacket
This Elizabeth Zimmermann pattern is a fun project to knit! This baby sweater is knit in garter stitch, but with very unique shaping techniques! In this three-session class you will learn how to make the baby surprise jacket using Elizabeth Zimmerman’s pattern. Materials needed: about 400 yds. Fingering or DK weight and appropriate sized needles (we used three skeins of Rowan’s Cashsoft DK & a 24” size 5 needle).

knitseashore said...

I love the photo. Does this mean the rain stopped?

Thank you for the tabby photos, esp. the one of the back of the tabby. I am going through stripes withdrawl, though I still have plenty of kitty love from the orange one and the new tortoiseshell one. But hopefully a new tabby will be here soon too!

Ann-Marie MacKay said...

yeah yarn--it looks pretty!